PHILLIPS EXETER ACADEMY - CLASS OF 1945 LIBRARY 

Phillips Exeter Academy - Class of 1945 Library

Designed by Louis Kahn, Phillips Exeter Academy’s Class of 1945 Library has occupied a central and cherished place on the campus since it opened in 1971. It is widely considered one of the most significant 20th century buildings in America.

As a pilot project, incorporating goals and strategies from ABA’s recently completed Library Master Plan, a new Library Commons has been created on the ground floor, a student-centered space for collaborative study and events. New LED lighting was designed to highlight the building’s concrete ceiling coffers, a test prototype for future lighting modifications throughout the Library. Furnishings and carpeting introduce color into the space, and millwork elements take cues from Louis Kahn’s original details. The furnishings and movable bookcase units can be reconfigured for individual or group study, adapting to serve large group readings and presentations.

Additional pilot projects include new group study rooms on upper stack levels, configured with demountable partitions, and a new academic support space. These projects will be followed by a phased implementation of the Master Plan.

Exeter, New Hampshire